Saturday, July 25, 2020

Wondering...Can I Do This?

I am always looking for a challenge.  I'm great at looking for them, I'm great at finding them, and I'm great at planning for how I'm going to complete them.  The piece I haven't quite figured out yet is the follow-through.  I am a starter, not a finisher.  I am a champion starter, even with things that are really challenging, but when it comes to finishing, I have a lot to learn.  You can imagine, then, the reluctance with which I am typing this first post.  I'm going into this already knowing in the back of my mind that I won't be able to finish it.  Pretty defeating thought, right?

I learned about the 75 Hard challenge last week while reading a blog that I have followed for years.  The blogger has begun her own 75 Hard, and plans to document her journey.  Basically, here's what the 75 Hard boils down to:

* 75 is 75 days.  Yes, DAYS.

* Follow a diet.  You choose what the diet is, but whatever it is, it needs to eliminate alcohol, chocolate, cake, and cookies.  Also, there can be no cheat meals.  Whichever diet you choose is your diet for 75 days.

*Work out twice a day, for 45 minutes each time.  It can't be one workout for 90 minutes; instead, it needs to be two 45 minute workouts, and one of them should take place outside.

* Drink 1 gallon of water each day.

* Read ten pages of a self-improvement, nonfiction book, each day.

* Take one progress photo each day.

* Here's the real kicker.  If you mess up, or forget to do something one day, you have to start back at the beginning.  This challenge will most certainly yield physical results, but it is actually meant to be a mental toughness challenge.  How much would it suck to be 50 days in and have to start over?  Hence the mental toughness.

Is this going to be hard?  Yes.  Is it going to be too hard?  Yes, probably.  Should I be trying to do it?  Absolutely.  Am I going to tell anyone that I am doing it?  Not yet.  And here's why.

1. I don't want people checking up on me, especially because I'm pretty positive I'm not going to be able to stick with this.
2. I want this to be my thing, not anyone else's.
3. I know that most people will think it's crazy.
4. I know that most of the people I know will likely think I can't do this.  That's ok--I don't think I can do it, either--but I don't want anyone else telling me what I can't do.

I am starting tomorrow.  I think that a huge part of being able to be successful with this will be to really establish a morning routine.  I think that if I can establish a steady morning routine, I will have an easier time with this.  Here is what I'm thinking of for my morning routine:

1. Morning workout: either a walk or Zumba/Jillian video on YouTube.
2. Drink one HydroFlask of water.
3. Jesus Calling.
4. 5 pages of self-improvement book.
5. Take photo.

In order to keep this routine, I don't think I can sleep in past 5:10 or 5:15 on school mornings, which won't be easy, but I've got to try.  I used to wake up that early on a regular basis.  I think I can get used to it again if I can make myself go to bed by 10 each night.

I could go on and on about all of the reasons I need to be doing this challenge, but I think I will save them for tomorrow, or the next day.  Right now, I have a little bit of hope that I can make a go of this...but just a little.  Remember, I am a starter, not a finisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment